Enjoy this delicious take on a classic margarita recipe with tequila and Grand Marnier. Liven up Taco Tuesday or drinks with friends with this delicious margarita!
Note: I am a Drizly affiliate and am happy to recommend their service and products to you. Please know that as an affiliate, I may receive a small commission on the products you purchase after clicking through my links. For more info, please see my disclosure policy.
If you love margaritas, you may have been looking for a way to elevate it and make it even better. If you’re a fan of Grand Marnier, this recipe is sure to add a bit of class and flavorful dimension to your favorite drink.
With only a few ingredients, this Grand Marnier margarita is made with some very basic ingredients: tequila, Grand Marnier, simple syrup, and fresh lime juice. There’s no extras here – just allowing the flavors of each of these ingredients to shine through.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk through the basics of the ingredients.
Ingredients for a Grand Marnier Margarita
Grand Marnier adds an orange and cognac flavor to your margarita that is complex and nuanced. You can heighten the flavor of your margarita by swapping Grand Marnier for triple sec in any basic margarita recipe.
Read on: What is Grand Marnier?
Read on: Is Grand Marnier triple sec?
Simple syrup adds sweetness to play off the sour notes of the fresh lime juice and Grand Marnier. It helps to balance out the tart flavors and make the drink go down more easily. You can make your own simple syrup with equal parts sugar and water on the stove, or buy a bottle of simple syrup from the liquor store to save on time.
Fresh lime juice
Fresh lime juice brightens up the drink. You can use bottled lime juice, but there’s something about the fresh acidity that makes the flavors of this margarita pop. You’ll need about one lime for each drink.
Salt is completely optional in this drink, but is a fun addition to rim any margarita glass with salt to help complement and balance the sweet and sour notes of this margarita.
How to Make a Grand Marnier Margarita
1. Prepare a cocktail shaker with ice or prepare a glass with a few ice cubes. You don’t need to do this in one particular way – as long as the drink is cold, it will taste good.
2. Rim the glass with salt if you choose to. Run a cut lime wedge around the rim of the glass, then dip in a plate with salt. Set aside.
3. In a cocktail shaker or glass, add all the ingredients and shake or stir to combine well.
4. Strain into the salt rimmed glass and serve with ice.
- Prepare a cocktail shaker with ice or prepare a glass with a few ice cubes. You don't need to do this in one particular way - as long as the drink is cold, it will taste good.
- Rim the glass with salt if you choose to. Run a cut lime wedge around the rim of the glass, then dip in a plate with salt. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker or glass, add all the ingredients and shake or stir to combine well.
- Strain into the salt rimmed glass and serve with ice. Enjoy!